Friday, October 16, 2009

Some unexpected concerns

Well, the great news is that I've started to have some response to my advertising. I've found though, that people are having some unexpected concerns when they contact us back. I can't say I blame them, but I'll have to figure out a way to alleviate those concerns. The problem people are having, is that because we are so new, they are worried we are going to scam them and take off with their money. In retrospect, that is a very valid concern, and something I never really thought of. So far we have 1 contract to be signed on Tuesday, and another that we are waiting to hear back from (maybe we might be waiting a long time!) I think what I may start offering is payment at the end of the month, rather than the beginning. One more hurdle to jump.

On another note, I wrote before that opportunities are everywhere, and now that I've started looking, they sure are! I've been looking through listings of businesses for sale in my area and there are some great fits. My criteria:
- Low maintenance/high employee involvement (if I can pay someone else to run it, even better)
- Positive cash flow (should be a no brainer)
- Low buy-in cost (because I don't have much to buy in with)

I've found at least 6 that fit those criteria. How about this one: It is a line of products that is sold on consignment out of another store. So all that is needed is to bring the product to the store. Total cash flow: $7000-$8000/year. Cost of the business: $40,000. And it sells metaphysical gifts. I don't even know what those are. But if I did, I'd be all over that.

Tanning salon? Positive cash flow, 5 employees that run the place, $80,000 to purchase it. Room to expand. Except my wife doesn't like tanning salons. But besides that, another great business opportunity.

Driving school for sale. Owners are retiring. Asking $85,000. Grosses $107,000 annually. 4 employees. A little more money than I have right now, but that would be a hard one to turn down.

Candy vending machine business for sale. Owner paid $21,000 for it 2 years ago and brings in $200 a week for 4 hours of work. Needs to sell in a hurry, so he's asking $5,500 for it. Holy cow!! That would pay itself back in less than a year! Antonio, answer your phone, I want to buy your business!! He's probably already sold it, but this would be almost perfect.

Two websites for sale. I won't say which ones, b/c I think these ones are just what I am looking for. $2300 for the two of them. Between them they bring in about $2000-$3000/year. No, that isn't very much. But they are 99% automated. There is almost nothing to do but collect the money. The owner is selling b/c he needs capital for another project. Hello passive income.

Of course, you should verify the claims of the business owners. Check financial statements, customer records, etc. I imagine a lawyer would help (mental note: don't forget to call my lawyer).

So get out there and start looking. Opportunities abound! Build up that asset column.

Dad

1 comment:

  1. About those unexpected concerns, I happen to have a little experience with helping to promote a friend of mine that had a wine delivery business where people could order online.

    For that Business I wrote a (promotional) press realease telling about how he having had his roots in the wine business for years (selling wine just like his dad) Now opened a "New Shop" online. (So New but 'with roots' dating way back from a father & son tradion, that was the message of my press release)

    And since he already had run a few ads in a small local Newspaper we managed to also get our press release published in that Newspaper.

    So now I used a big printout of this Newspaper article on Events to generate instant trust and credibilty and it worked we actually sold a lot of wine on those Events!

    Somebody that runs a scam is probably not very motivated to get it's photo picture in the paper.

    So maybe this 'Getting Press' might give you some idea's for your Business?

    All the Best,
    To your Happy - Business - Inspiration,
    HP

    ReplyDelete